The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:03 am

UPDATE: I sooo got in, and it's gonna be rad. Thanks for all your support, ladies!

Okay, so, as I'm sure most of the regulars know I'm applying for entry in the top makeup course in NZ, Certificate of Makeup Artistry with the Design and Arts College here. I already have two looks I know I am going to put into my portfolio, but the minimum amount of pieces is five. The other two are not-exactly-day looks (SFX- too shy to post this one here, believe it or not and a Jetta from Jem look 'cause I'm a fan girl) and so I figured I'd better put some slightly more wearable bits and pieces in there. Slightly. I need to choose four, ideally, but if they're not that shit hot, then three.

I need help choosing, and I trust you girls more than anyone else I know when it comes to this sort of thing. This is also why I haven't posted in the Makeup Pics post, so as not to flood you all with pictures of me >.< Haaaalp.

10. Just a link to this one, as it's quite big.

Feel free to critique me also, it's always welcome, and I clearly want to get better. Mainly, though, I'd like some advice on which ones to pick. I'm confused >.< Thanks for your time, girls. And thanks for putting up with me yammering on about this all the time Very Happy

If your life had a face, I would punch it in the balls.

Last edited by on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:14 am

I really like the second last one aand

number 7

number five

*envies talent* what brushes do you use?
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:21 am

Cheap BYS ones for detail, L'Oreal blending one that I use for highlight 'cause it's too fluffy and a MAC SE 213 for packing on colour and blending. Annnd sponge tip applicators and cotton buds.

And thankyouuu Lil for replying. Virtual cookies for you!

Last edited by on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:23 am

awesome

i need a little brush and a bigger brush

i only ahve this cheap no brand one that is medium
Back to top Go down
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:48 am

3, 4, 5, 6, 7....

they look most professional.

if I have to narrow it to three from those five...

4, 5, and 7.

the way you can make your whole face better, is by giving your brows more shape, and then trimming them.

yes, I said trim! sometimes, the hairs are just too long, and you've got to - I did, and it helped tremendously. or, just invest in a brow gel. if your brows have a more refined shape, then your eyes will be bigger and brighter, and your makeup will even be more striking. photos 3, 5, and 9 are when your brows were shaped best, though you have strays around them [not too noticeable with foundation, powder, etc]. but if you get a brow razor [I'll post a pic of two that I use later], it gets rid of them and helps in the shaping of your brows even more!

also, you don't even have to fill in your brows too much, if you decide not to trim them - all you need is a little brow gel, and your brows will look stunning.

also! I notice that you have the same condition I suffer from - Puffy Chin Syndrome, otherwise known as PCS - its when your chin is pink or red! you notice it in some of my makeup pics - it looks as if I swiped blush on my cheeks down to my chin! thats because I didnt put any concealer on my chin - even when I have on foundation, you can tell. so next time, add concealer in that general area, and after foundation, add extra powder on top to really set it.

and I wouldn't turn in 9 or 10 because:

9 is a look any one [EVERYONE] could [HAS] do [DONE] - the school has seen it time and time again, and you have spicier looks than that! don't bore them with a basic - though well done - black and silver look!

10 may be too playful-ish. use your photos that have more professionalism!

Hope I helped!

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 am

Woo, in depth reply.

I do trim my brows quite regularly, they just grow ridiculously fast. I'll have to keep on top of it more over the next year (obviously that's if I get accepted at all), which is a pain as I already do it about every third day, and pluck every morning. Yeah, thanks for those genes, ma. Is there a specific brow gel that you could recommend? I've never actually seen one, but then I haven't looked for one while shopping, so I probably just missed 'em!

Believe it or not, I conceal the hell out of my chin area. I make sure to, as it's more or less traffic light red when I'm bare faced. It's insanely red from acne scarring (scaring? uhh, you know what I mean), I need a concealer with more coverage. The only thing is, with my dry skin I can't use too much powder, or it just goes RARR and flaky on me.

Thanks heaps, Puffy! You're a doll <3

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:11 am

brow gel is clear mascara! CG and maybelline make some. either would be good! hell, any brand, as long as its clear!

hm, you may need a thicker concealer/foundation. try benefit's boi-ing. I get acne there, too - my chin is darker than the rest of my face, so I have to use concealer there anyways!

curse the dark chinned gene. ;-;

and glad to be of service!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:36 am

Clear mascara. Ohhh, dear. I feel like a doofus Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
anjelik_dreamin

Number of posts : 3440
Name : Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 am

I'd choose 3, 4, 6 and 7.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/anjelik_dreamin
abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:53 am

I love 6 in particular. The colours really bring out your eyes and the closed eye shot is beautifully clear and shows off your bitchin talent at applyin liquid liner perfectly!

*annoying question*
can you remember what colours you used for it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aelwyndaeira

Number of posts : 3720
Name : Shauna

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:17 am

Not that I'm an expert, but I love 2, 3, 5 & 6. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shaunamcshanemua.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:44 am

I love the third, fifth and the seventh <3
Back to top Go down
TOONRULESOK

Number of posts : 2667
Name : hannahh
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:12 am

the bluey black one, the greeney one, and the purply pinky one. They're gorgeous and all blendey/

cherrybomb

Number of posts : 2443
Name : Jasmin, Mini
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:28 am

I like 2,4,5 and 7(I love this one!).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/knallkirsche
PolyphonicThought

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Le_Saboteur wrote:
Clear mascara. Ohhh, dear. I feel like a doofus Very Happy

hee! its all good. I've been meaning to buy some for ages...I may be able to tonight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:32 pm

I love 3,5,7 and the last one. You're amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Kate's right o//
Back to top Go down
GinaELIZABETH

Number of posts : 3116
Name : Gina
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:52 pm

I vote 3, 4, 5, and 7. You're amazingly talented.

I also looove 10 - it reminds me of Gwen Stefani. But I guess Puffy is right, you've done better. Plus, the bright, fun colors seem to be your forte... Very Happy

I don't know, but, good luck girlie!! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/onebyonexo

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:18 pm

4 and 9 are my favorite!

do you wear colored contacts?
Back to top Go down
Gloomyjewel

Number of posts : 2540
Name : Soraya, Sor, Saf
Registration date : 2007-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:27 am

I picked 1 and 5. But no one has picked 1 so I guess only my vote for 5 will matter Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://youseesaf.blogspot.com/
Alexa Nightmare.

Number of posts : 1647
Name : Alexa.
Registration date : 2007-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 am

1 3 5 and 7 are my favorite four.
but they all look stunning!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/alexisastar

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:24 am

If youre applying for make-up school shouldnt you be doing make up on other people for your portfolio? xx
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:47 pm

All the sample portfolios I've seen from past students are on themselves. This is just school, no one attending is an ma yet.

Thanks heaps for your help, everyone, you guys helped me out a lot! *big forum hug* And thanks for all the kind words, ego boost yeow!

3, 4, 5 and 7 are going in the portfolio. Just so y'all know.

Ava, for the green one I used MAC pigments Old Gold, Golders Green, Kelly Green and Humid eyeshadow, with Dark Soul pig. in the crease and outer V to give it some definition.

Nope, Hana, I don't use coloured contacts! That's my natural eye colour. I wish I had green eyes >.< but brown'll do.

Thanks again, guys.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:19 pm

huh, thats hella wierd. Because at LCF they prefer you to have applied make-up on someone else. Because they prefer having experience. They also like to see art work you've done.
Back to top Go down
Le_Saboteur

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:57 pm

*shrugs* Different schools. This is for people who want to start studying, not those who are already in the industry, or who already have experience in it. This is a complete noobs course.

I'm not saying that some of the sample portfolios didn't have makeup applied on other people, but certainly the majority were just with the applicants applying it on themselves.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!   

Back to top Go down

Update! Woop woop! I got in to makeup school!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next