The Cupcake Mafia!

We're awesome! Join us & be awesome too!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

I need your help, ladies and gents!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shadowsforsale

Number of posts : 3315
Name : Elisabeth, Lisabeth, Lizzy, Liz, Lissa
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:12 pm

I have decided I'm completely sick of how I look. Call this my post-breakup bad haircut. Oh wait, I just got one of those. Call this my second childhood, because I didn't allow myself to have a first.

I'll post pictures later for reference if you guys want them, but for now I need suggestions. I'm sick of forever throwing on some jeans and whatever random shirt I grab and spending the day wearing an outfit I've worn a million times before. I have no mix-and-match-ables. I know vaguely what I'd like to incorporate, but for the rest, I need help!

What I like: occasionally showing off the figure I've got. It's not bad, really, so why not wear something to accent it in a good way? I love corsets, and corset-like tops, vests, skirts, long sleeves, dark colors.. If something looks like it's got historical aspects to it, I'm pretty much sold.

What I don't like: skinny pants, shorts(never, never, never!), flat shoes, dressing too frumpily or too young. I'm 20, I shouldn't still be dressing like a 12 year old.

Is it hopeless? Can you help me? Any suggestions, while I may not use them, are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.midnightsunfaeryfun.blogspot.com
PolyphonicThought

Number of posts : 13575
Name : Puff

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:15 pm

try mid rise jeans - low rise would be much for you.

dont buy as of what would look good as one outfit, but what would be good to mix and match. by loads of pants and tops, and go from there!

your comfort is important.

anddd thats all I have so far! hahaha.

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Buy something totally unpredictable. Get a pretty dress and some weird jewlery you never thought would go with your look.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Get a friend to volunteer you for What Not To Wear. : ]

They'd give you a whole new look that works for you/your age/your life.

Lol, you probably don't dress as bad as the people on there at alll, but...maybe you can just fake it. : ] hahah.
Back to top Go down
shadowsforsale

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:28 pm

My sister actually put mom up for that show.. We haven't gotten a call yet, but I'll murder Trish if we do. As if mom doesn't feel frumpy enough?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Yeah i was going to put my mom on it, but.. she lives in a trailer, and...lives the ..i guess "stereotypical" trailertrash life. DEFINITELY (i dont live with her) so..we figured it'd be pointless if she got on that show, because she'd mess it all up and go back to her normal ways in less than a week.

plus, shes got 98273984723 animals, so.. she could never keep her new things nice.
Back to top Go down
Kirsty

Number of posts : 8159
Name : Kiki, Kirsty
Registration date : 2007-03-25

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:44 pm

I agree with Puffs.

I think one of the first things you need to find is a good pair of jeans that suit you and you feel comfy in because from there you can do lots of stuff. And everyone needs amazing jeans.

OH! pick up seventeen thats out...there's a whole bit on jeans that might help you, like picking ones that suit you. Or I'll scan you it if its not on their website Razz Puffy says they always have jeans but I thought this one was pretty good.

For me, I go into the shop (ofc I mean h&m by that Razz) and I'm like "oh I like that!" or "that would go with this!" and I have dresses and stuff I've bought to wear alone or with jeans or with this shirt underneath.

Look for some fashion blogs or something online. You may not like everything but it might give you some ideas for how to pair a certain style of skirt with other items or you might find stuff in your style you could steal Razz

Accessories are always good. You said to me about wearing dark colours which you could still do but like a pair of bright red heels with dark jeans and a top would look stunning. Or any other colour. Or even a bold necklace or earrings you know?

Go into as many stores as you can, even if it's out of your price range. You might see something you love and can then look for it cheaper or try to create it from other items. Look up store's websites and browse as well (which I know you have been Razz)

Don't stick to one look. Branch out. You might love corsets and such but you might try on something that originally you go "ick thats so not me!" but it will look really cute on you.

Maybe check out some of those "what not to wear" shows. I watch them less for the show but because you can get some cute ideas and stuff.
But it also might help you find out what suits your body shape. Like you seem quite petite so you'll need to take that into consideration :]

BE COMFY! Don't think "oh people will laugh at me". If you're comfy in your clothes then you'll oooooooze confidence and you'll look fabulous. If you feel silly or uncomfy in an outfit then don't wear it.

For refernce...I wrote this right after puffy posted...I just get distracted easy Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://misskirsty.blogspot.com
Le_Saboteur

Number of posts : 3354
Name : Kendra
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:46 pm

Your bone structure and all 'round cuteness pretty much scream the need for cute dresses to me. You like long stuff, but what about things that skim just beneath the knee?

I don't know if you want simple stuff or not. I think bohemian-ish stuff would look good on you, too. And, hello, drop and bell sleeves on Lizzy. Peasant tops? In colours like dark purple or red could go well with both jeans and skirts, whether they're short or long (as long as the skirts aren't too flashy, don't wanna crowd it).

This is way harder than I thought it would be. Just... look around more, I guess. Like the other girls have said, when you go shopping, look everywhere. Personally, I get lots and lots of ideas from clothing websites. And magazines. Just keep your eyes open.

I love the what not to wear shows. Except for the whole 'no! that's not fashionable!' speeches they give. Pssh, piss off, it's less what's 'in' and more what's 'you'.

If your life had a face, I would punch it in the balls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadowsforsale

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:50 pm

Bohemian stuff is really fun. My friends in high school used to laugh at the fact that I was the only gothic hippy they knew, but I've sort of fallen out of that, as I just don't have the time, energy, or particular clothing items anymore. I do love bell sleeves, though, you're spot-on there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 am

i would say spend money on a really nice piece. like, a great new coat. buy a few nice new things (its always better to buy a few really nice things than a bunch of crap). seriously, you be amazed at what a snazzy chic coat can do for the wardrobe

ps- i went shopping on saturday and saw some really great things at Bloomies! maybe you should check that out!!
and do a spa day. nothing is more rejuvenating! you'll feel like a new person after a massage, facial, mani,pedi and shampoo/blowdry. spoil yourself!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:35 pm

Well, I would say, buy some basic stuff. You can make it really you with accesories. That's what I always do. You would be amazed at what accesories can do to an outfit.

Also, if there's something that really flatters you, go and search for similar pieces. For example me: skinny jeans and long t-shirts ( with v-necks) really do justice and make me look slimmer. So I only have skinnies, and like 80% of my tshirts are long ...

Go and try something on you don't specifically like ... Most f the time when I do that ... it actually looks well on me.

Don't go for the same style. In this I mean, have some really girlish outfits, some casual ones etc. Don't stick one look.

Also, give your old clothes a second life!!!! I did that with a baggy jeans of mine, turned it into a miniskirt!!!! Sometimes that helps out !!!! And you don't have to spend any money!!!!

Dare to go crazy!!!! You learn from Fasionblunders Very Happy The ones who dares, are often the ones that have a style that defines them ....

I'm sure I had more ...
Back to top Go down
abercrombie

Number of posts : 1650
Name : Ava
Registration date : 2007-06-07

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:09 pm

Liz, of course it's not hopeless!

If I was in your position and wanted to completely revamp my look, I think I'd start by buying basics. You know, a bunch of different style tops (cami's, puffed sleeves, sqaure necklines, tight, loose) in plain colours. Then I'd do the same for jeans, experimenting with different cuts and shades.
You don't need to spend a ton and they can be easily updated when new styles appear. Maybe have a browse in catalogues or online?

Then I'd acessorise, acessorise, acessorise! If you love a certain part of you're figure - draw attention to it!
What about a bold necklace or sparkly earrings. Maybe a chunky belt or bright heels/wedges even?
Do you use bags? Maybe switch your current one for a super bright tote or hobo.
You said you like things with historical aspects? What about some vinatge jewellery from charity (thrift?) stores, or things influenced by a certain era?
Acessorising is such an easy way to completely change the look of an outfit and stamp your personality all over. I think that jewellery says more about you than any clothes - it's personal!

Anyway, I hope you hav fun shopping! Very Happy

((Lol - I am such a slow typer!))
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need your help, ladies and gents!   

Back to top Go down

I need your help, ladies and gents!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1